2009 Topps Triple Threads seems to be making the rounds of the blogosphere this past couple of days. As a collector of a player who seems as though he will be prominently featured in the set, I’d like to have a bit of a say as well.
My first knowledge of how painful this product was likely to be was when a friend emailed me a checklist and added “Better save your pennies….”. How true. The formatting on the checklist was a bit off, so I couldn’t see all the subsets, but this is what I found for Hamilton cards in the set. Anyone with more knowledge, feel free to fix up any of my screw ups, or enlighten me on what exactly I should expect. There were 15 different Hamilton cards on the checklist:
- Base Card (I’m going to be all over this one, just in case its the only one I get)
- RSARP-2: Hamilton / Longoria
- TTARC-12: Bruce / Hamilton / Pence
- TTXXIV-5: Hamilton
- TTARDC2: Price / Hochevar / Upton / Young / Gonzalez / Hamilton (First overall picks, I presume)
- TTARDC3: Pujols / Wright / Ramirez / Rodriguez / Hamilton / Longoria (No clue)
- TTAJSP40: Hamilton (I believe this one was an All-Star Jumbo Sleeve Patch)
- TTASP40: Hamilton (Presumably, something different to do with the ASG)
- TTLM40: Hamilton (LetterMarks? I hope not.)
- TTR46, 47, 48: Hamilton
- TTRC11, 12, 13: Hamilton
So, that was depressing in and of itself. I still held out a little bit of hope though. Maybe the cards would be so ugly, that I wouldn’t feel compelled to pick them up. It has happened in the past. Sometimes, a design is just so poorly conceived that it saves me hundreds of dollars. Surely, Topps could come through this time.
No such luck. There were a bunch of 2009 Topps Triple Threads pictures posted over at Wax Heaven, and one of them was this sweet looking Josh Hamilton relic. According to the picture, it is numbered /36, so I might have a sniff at this one. I can dream, right? Anyone know which checklist item this corresponds to?
So, there is my take on Triple Threads. A lot of cards. And they look kind of awesome. Perhaps I should start buying lottery tickets.